Waima to Laingholm Pest Free has set itself with some ambitious goals. These have been split into short and long term goals.
Short Term Goals
Over the short term, Waima to Laingholm Pest Free aims to acheive the following:
- Find out who is already carrying out pest control.
- Build community involvement in this project.
- Promoting pest control in priority areas.
- Develop pest management plans for smaller areas.
- Achieve permission to carry out pest control in the area from landowners.
- Commence with pest control in smaller areas and local neighbourhoods (including ring-fencing our whole area with pest control and setting up volunteer groups and coordinators).
- Set up observation methods and practices of native birds and other species.
- Build communication channels and relationships across the community and organisations and connect as many people and networks as possible to our project.
- Commence with funding applications for pest control.
- Hold community events to promote and provide support for our project.
- Seek other support in kind from council and other organisations.
- Jan, 2017 – Future Search 3 –day workshop.
- Encourage and facilitate community care with cats in relation to native species.
- Set up a long term time line for this project (30 years +).
Long Term Goals
In the longer term, Waima to Laingholm Pest Free aims to acheive the following:
- The whole area becomes predator free.
- Have a plan for maintaining and refining pest control.
- Continue to build and maintain community involvement, and networks.
- Maintain funding streams and establish new ones through grant applications and seeking support.
- Increase and protect existing and self-repopulated native flora and fauna.
- Encourage related activities, such as weeding and native planting.
- Continue to maintain and encourage care with cats.
- Reintroduce certain native species.
- Continue to hold related community events to support.